Major Gifts Officer (#401214349)
Requisition Number: 401214349
Please visit the Duke HR website and submit your cover letter and resume.
You may also submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identifying, soliciting, and stewarding gifts of $100,000 to $1M primarily from grateful patients and will develop and carry a portfolio of 75 prospects at various stages of engagement. Through partnerships with faculty, the Major Gift Officer will become effective at understanding and articulating the critical work of Duke Cancer Institute, and be adept at connecting grateful patients who have the capacity to support this work with the projects and priorities of the institution.The Major Gifts Officer will develop programs and strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward grateful patients,families and friends for significant gifts to fund projects and priorities.
- Develop and maintain major gift portfolio; identify, cultivate, and solicit major gifts prospects ($100K or more); recommend and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies for individual prospects, working with administration, faculty and volunteers as appropriate.
- Build partnerships, establish and maintain regular communication with faculty to increase and manage the level of faculty referrals of grateful patients to enhance major gifts activities.
- Assist administrators and faculty in the identification and prioritization of institutional and departmental funding needs; keep abreast of institutional programs.
- Develop, evaluate, and refine plans and timetables for departmental or theme assignments; assist in planning and/or directing cultivation events or programs.
- Identify and participate in special events, recognition, and stewardship programs as appropriate; write acknowledgement letters as needed to enhance relationships with donors.
- Write or assist in drafting proposals and other materials as necessary; assist with publicity arrangements on important gifts, programs, accomplishments or events.
- Follow procedures in coordination with the Office of Alumni and Development Records to ensure effective collecting, recording, accounting, acknowledgement, and follow up on all private gifts to assigned departments.
- Develop contact reports and enter moves with prospects in the database.
- Work with colleagues across the institution to collaborate on prospects with multiple interests.
- Follow best fundraising and operational practices for Duke Medicine Development.
The successful candidate will have skills to build a portfolio of donors and the sophistication to develop those relationships into a robust pipeline of support. The Major Gifts Officer will bring a supreme work ethic, an intellectual curiosity to his/her approach, and an unflagging desire to raise money for the basic, translational and clinical research and quality care that Duke Cancer Institute provides. The Major Gifts Officer will bring a maturity and diplomacy to developing relationships with faculty and the confidence and vision to design and execute compelling proposals for individuals.Proven success in securing major gifts of $100,000 and up.Demonstrated ability to handle multiple, complex fundraising activities simultaneously and coordinate solicitation strategies in a decentralized environment. Frequent travel is a priority in this position requiring flexibility in work hours to include evenings and extensive travel as needed to accomplish objectives and satisfy goals.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.*******************************************************Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE